The National Energy Board (NEB) has issued a board order to TransCanada Keystone Pipeline GP Ltd. (Keystone) to ensure that environmental protection and mitigation measures continue on the Keystone XL project despite the US Department of State’s decision of 3 November 2015 to not issue a Presidential Permit to construct and operate the US section of the Keystone XL pipeline.
During NEB inspections on the Keystone XL pipeline project in Alberta, the NEB observed that reclamation had not been completed at two horizontal directional drill staging areas. These areas included a portion of the pipeline right of way and construction access roads at the Red Deer River and South Saskatchewan River crossings. At the time of the inspections, the NEB issued Notices of Non-Compliance related to erosion control and weed management, which required corrective actions.
When the Keystone XL project was approved on 27 April 2010, the NEB required completion of conditions at various stages during construction of the approved project. The NEB Order requires Keystone to take precautionary measures necessary for protection of the environment.
The NEB order requires the company to submit the following information with the board by 1 December 2016:
- Results of recent surveys of wildlife, vegetation, wetlands and weeds; including mitigation plans and evidence of consultation with provincial and federal authorities.
- A report with prescribed reclamation scenarios to predict the effects on soil productivity.
- An environmental monitoring report for the horizontal directional drill river crossings.
- A report summarising consultation with relevant provincial and federal authorities regarding the status of construction of the project to date and whether there are any outstanding issues or follow-up actions that may be required.
- The landowner consultation tracking table.
- An annual report regarding, among other things, the status of the project.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldpipelines.com/regulations-and-standards/25052016/neb-issues-order-for-keystone-xl-pipeline/