Skip to main content

Kinder Morgan pulls equipment from Burnaby early

Published by
World Pipelines,


Kinder Morgan is pulling its equipment out early from Burnaby Mountain — the area at the centre of anti-pipeline protests in Metro Vancouver.

Lisa Clement, Trans Mountain media relations, said much of the equipment must be removed by helicopter, so crews wrapped up survey work early to meet a court-ordered deadline of Sunday night.

Clement said crews finished one of two drilling holes that had been planned, going down 150 m. The survey work will give the company enough information to present to the National Energy Board (NEB) for a decision on the pipeline expansion, she said.

“We have samples which we can provide photos of and it shows the different types of rock that goes that deep. So far, from early feasibility, it appears to be a stable area to put the pipeline.”

On Thursday, a B.C. Supreme Court judge refused to extend a court injunction against protesters for another 12 days, forcing Kinder Morgan to pack up before it completed its work.

The company also admitted to the court that it provided incorrect GPS co-ordinates when it initially sought the injunction, prompting the judge to throw out civil contempt charges against dozens of activists who had been protesting the survey work.

The growing protest camp on Burnaby Mountain, which is also home to a conservation site and Simon Fraser University, forced the company to go to court to ask for the injunction.

Mayor criticises NEB over Trans Mountain

Meanwhile, the mayor of Burnaby, B.C., is slamming the NEB’s review process of Kinder Morgan’s proposed pipeline expansion, accusing the panel of siding with the oil industry.

Mayor Derek Corrigan said people have lost faith in the NEB’s ability to protect Canadian interests.

“I think there’s a lot of people who have lost faith in the National Energy Board, in its impartiality, its subjectivity in considering these (pipeline projects),” said Corrigan. “The appointments are made from the oil industry. It appears that their allegiance is to the oil industry.”

The NEB hearings for Kinder Morgan’s proposal will begin in July 2015. The board’s is set to make a decision on the project by October 2015.


Edited from various sources by Elizabeth Corner

Sources: Macleans, CTV News

Read the article online at: https://www.worldpipelines.com/project-news/01122014/kinder-morgan-pulls-equipment-from-burnaby-early/

You might also like

 
 
 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):