Cortec Laboratories has created the first water based coating to withstand a minimum 1000 hours of intense salt spray at super thin coverage rates.
The EcoShield® 386 Water Based coating powered by Nano VpCI® can protect metal structures in extremely harsh outdoor conditions with just a very thin high gloss clear coat of EcoShield 386 that allows visual inspection of the substrate.
The unique acrylic based formula of EcoShield 386 Water Based Coating Powered by Nano VpCI uses a complex mixture of nano sized non-toxic organic inhibitors, which provide protection superior to traditional corrosion inhibiting coatings. Performance has exceeded even the expectations of Cortec’s own ISO 17025 Accredited Lab, where it achieved reproducible corrosion protection results on carbon steel panels according to the ASTM B117 Standard (with minimal creepage from the scribe).
As the test proceeded, the carbon steel panels were protected from the corrosive effects of continuous salt spray for days on end with only a 1 mil DFT coating of EcoShield 386 applied to the metal.
Additional features include:
- Fast drying and easy to work with.
- Low VOC - less than 0.6 pounds per gallon (68 g/l).
- Applicable via spray, dip, or brushing.
- Resistant to sagging or running.
- Non-flammable protective barrier.
- UV resistance discourages cracking or chipping under extended sunlight exposure.
- Can be tinted to match custom colours.
- Can be used as a DTM coating, or as a topcoat over the appropriate primer.
- Cold weather (winterised) version available.
- Safer to use, easier to clean up, and more environmentally friendly than hazardous solvent based coatings.
Cortec’s EcoShield 386 Water Based Coating Powered by Nano VpCI® conforms to the following: ASTM B-117 Salt Spray, ASTM D-1748 Humidity, ASTM D-3359 Adhesion, ASTM D-522 Flexibility, ASTM D-532 Gloss, ASTM D-3960 VOC, ASTM D-3363 Pencil Hardness, ASTM D-3363 Pencil Hardness, and NACE RP0487-2000 – Selection of Rust Preventives.
Edited from press release by Angharad Lock
Read the article online at: https://www.worldpipelines.com/equipment-and-safety/04072016/cortec-coatings-achieves-salt-spray-resistance-of-over-1000-hrs-281/