In late 2014, Dominion Resources publicised its joint investment plan, in a 550 mile interstate Atlantic Coast Pipeline, across West Virginia to North Carolina.
This pipeline project is said to promise new jobs, tax benefits, economic savings, and improve the state’s economy by over US$4 billion.
Yet, despite these benefits the pipeline is said to offer, a new study by the Southern Environmental Law Center believes these to be false. The Law Center has found that the economic savings and job promises from the Atlantic Coast Pipeline are in fact unrealistic and that amounts that have been overestimated; stating it would take over 10 years before individuals feel the economic benefits of the pipeline.
- According to the Law Center, the flaws of the pipeline include:
- The unknown pricing of natural gas.
- Short-term employment; job positions merely for the time needed to construct the pipeline.
- Environmental damage; the affect on wildlife and National Forests, causing a negative outcome on tourism.
- Water quality impacts.
- Decreasing property values.
Sources from Register-Herald and FierceEnergy edited by Stephanie Roker
Read the article online at: https://www.worldpipelines.com/business-news/14072015/new-study-disputes-atlantic-coast-pipeline-benefits/